A place of ritualistic black magic performed by one of the evilest players in the game.
Boleskine house is a mansion that lies on the banks of Loch Ness, or at least it’s ruin now does as it suffered a severe fire in December 2015 causing near total destruction. All that survived was part of the interior and the shell from the eves downwards, the roof was completely gone. It suffered a further fire in July 2019 and the rest of the interior was destroyed. It is now in the process of refurbishment to restore it to its original stature. It is a category B listed building and has been taken over by a non-profit organisation. Restoration work started in December 2019. Maybe, considering its evil history, It would be better left in ruins?
It was built on the site of a Kirk (church) that apparently had burnt down during a service , where the congregation was in attendance, and everyone inside died. When Boleskine House was built it suffered a fire also that caused a certain amount of damage, but not as severe as the later fires that almost destroyed it completely.
The house was built at around 1760 by Colonel Archibald Frazer as a hunting lodge. He carried on extending the house until 1830 and had a tunnel constructed also that links the house to the graveyard.
The house and it’s surroundings had a history of strange happenings long into its distant past.
In one incident it is reported that a minister, Thomas Houston (1648-1705) had the grizzly task of laying corpses back in their graves after a local wizard had raised the dead from the village graveyard. Not a very likely event but it does give some credence as to the strangeness of the place at the time.
The Frazer family sold the house in 1899 to a Alistair Crowley , an occultist and practitioner of black magic, (dubbed at the time, by the press, as the most evil man in Britain).
It is said that the house contained evil long before Crowley moved in but it was he that invoked the spirits that led to several demons taking up residence there. Crowley performed rituals to conjure up various spirits and one particular ritual he was interested in was taken from a book called The Book of Abramelin. The purpose of the ritual was to invoke a person’s Guardian Angel. It is a detailed ritual that requires the person to prepare themselves over several months and to abstain from alcohol for that period and also to remain celibate. The ritual also includes the summoning of several high ranking demons brought up from the depths of hell.
The Book of Abramelin is considered by many to be the best book on magic available. It relates to an Egyptian magician known as Abramelin the Mage. It was first published in 1900 and was translated from a French script that was said to have been written originally by Abraham for his son Lamech. This book was Crowley’s inspiration and he based much of his sadistic work on it. It is said to contain rituals for both black and white magic and if carried out specifically it could produce successful results. Crowley, It seems, was only interested in the dark side.
While in the process of this ritual, he was called away to Paris on an important matter and It is understood that he never finished the ritual fully and released evil into the house and the surrounding area in the form of demons. From then on many strange happenings were said to have occurred in and around the place.
Whatever it was that Crowley released, it had severe and sometimes tragic consequences upon several people around him. His house keeper himself suffered the loss of two children, a 10-year-old daughter and a 1-year-old son, who both died mysteriously.
Another incident involved one of Crowley’s employees, that had long given up alcohol, got drunk and attempted to murder his whole family.
A further incident in 1965 involved the then owner, an army major by the name of Edward Grant, committing suicide by using a shotgun on himself in Crowley’s old bedroom.
The housekeeper at the time, Anna MacLaren, foresaw the incident in a premonition she had. She was alone in the garden when she heard the shotgun go off inside the house. She went to investigate but found no-one there or anything amiss. It was a week later at around the same time that she experienced the incident for real. This time the major was there with half his head blown off.
Alistair Crowley sold and left the house in 1913 but it seems the demons didn’t, they decided to stay and reek their evil on any unsuspecting victims that came their way. Crowley had added to the already macabre mystery of the place. He once admitted that his rituals and his evil practices had gotten out of hand while residing at Boleskine House.
In 1969 the house was up for rent and a film maker named Keneth Anger took up temporary residence. He was interested in the occult and the property’s history drew him to it. But it wasn’t for long, for some reason he moved out quickly.
In 1970 Jimmy Page, of the band Led Zepplin, heard about the house for sale and bought the place, again due to its history and Jimmy’s interest in the occult and also in the antics of Aleister Crowley. He had a special interest in Crowley and it was probably the main reason why he was attracted to the house. He owned the house for the next 22 years until 1992. Jimmy had planned to have the house restored but spent very little time there. Instead he put a friend of his in charge: Malcolm Dent.
Dent moved into the Boleskine House and found it in a sorry mess. The grounds were in a state of decline, the garden all overgrown and the house in bad need of repair and renovation.
After a while Dent started to experience strange happenings such as rumbling noises coming from outside his bedroom door. He experienced noises one night coming from the same vicinity that sounded like a beast of some sort . He never opened the door that night in fear of what he might find. Dent also experienced various other events such as doors opening and closing and furniture being moved.A friend of Dent’s even reported being attacked in the night by a devil of some kind.
But all this didn’t seem to put Dent off as he still carried on living in the house.
In 1992 the house was sold to Ronald and Annette MacGillivray, It was still In much need of repair.They spent a substantial amount of money on the property renovating it. It was later turned into a hotel.
When Mr MacGillvray died in 2002 the house was sold to Dutch owners who preferred to remain anonymous. They converted it back to a private dwelling and used it as a holiday home.
On 23rd of December 2015 a fire seriously damaged the house. Although most of the house was ablaze, no-one was home at the time therefore there were no casualties. A further fire occurred in July 2019 that finished off the rest of the interior. This was another unexplained incident and arson was suspected.
The house is now in the hands of an organisation that intends to restore it to its former glory due to its grade B listed building status. With its long reputation as a place of devil worship, Satanism and occult practices it would be better to leave well alone. Instead it looks like the demons are getting their dark place of residence back. A place where the most evil Satanist in Britain once lived. A place where a portal was opened up to let loose Hell’s inhabitants. A place where evil can be felt in the atmosphere. It is said that local residents in the past have given it a wide birth and many still do to this day for that matter.